top of page

Weingartner Oliver | Somló

Winegartner pic .jpeg

Oliver is a devoted husband and father, a seasoned winemaker and a man with ambition. Most notably Oliver has spent years in Germany honing his winemaking skills. He believes in natural winemaking and is an important advocate for sustainable and organic farming in Somló. Over the years he has perfected a method of vineyard management that does away with harsh cutting, while also improving the health of the vines by limiting airborne disease from entering them. The attention to detail is felt through the character of his wine. Winemaking is nothing but fun for him. Always smiling and laid back, even when troubles arise. While thinking of a name for one of his newest natural wines, he mockingly called it "Bipolar". This was in spite of the wine changing profiles from day to day while in the tank. "One day it was amazing and the next, I wanted to dump it all out. With so many personalities, I had to call it bipolar." said Oliver. We too agree that it ended up being a very special wine, and imported it.

2021 "HARSCH" (Natural Skin Contact)

Description: Oliver selected perfectly healthy hand picked bunches. 75% fermented as whole bunches in tanks, while the other 25% had been destemmed and fermented on the skin for 2 weeks. Blending occurred after pressing. After this small portion was matured in new Hungarian Kádár oak for 8 months, while a larger portion matured in a porous plastic tank (flex cube) for 8 months.

Varieties: 100% Hárslevelū
On the nose and palate: Honey, apricot and marzipan with beautiful salinity and a medium body.
Alc. Vol.: 14%
RS: 1.7 g/l

2021 "BIPOLAR" (Natural Orange)

Description: Juhfark, also called sheep's tail (due to the shape of the grape leaf) was left 15 days on the skin, then 8 months on fine lees in Kádár Hungarian oak from the Zemplén forest. The Badacsony Rhein Riesling and Savagnin left 120 days on skin in porous tanks. The 120 days on the skin was very diverse. What started off as an experiment from an experienced winemaker, the blending two orange wines, developed into a method for future vintages. The name Bipolar comes from the character of the wine changing from one day to the next during Oliver's experiment.

Varieties: 50% Juhfark (Sheep's Tail), 50% Badacsony Rhein Riesling and Savagnin
On the nose and palate: Honeysuckle, quince, lemon and herbs, with a rounded medium body and long finish
Alc. Vol.: 13%
RS: 0.9 g/l

bottom of page